Saturday, September 17, 2011

VeggieJambalaya

I didn't think we'd see rain for a long time here in Central Texas, but it's currently thundering and storming right now! After the recent fires in the surrounding areas and our dangerously low rivers, it's seriously a blessing we're finally seeing some rain. All that aside, I'm glad I got to the farmers market this morning before it started! I love going every Saturday morning to pick up a loaf of bread, some fresh eggs, and a few select produce. I'm slapping myself right now for not getting pictures while at the market, but I got some of what I came home with!


I left with a loaf of french bread (best in town), 2 zucchini squash, my favorite onions, farm fresh eggs, and an impulse $1 bag of jalapenos. 

My purchases today inspired me to make a version of my favorite jambalaya recipe, but this time leave out the sausage and replace them with extra veggies. It was a very, very good idea.

The french loaf was eyeing me so I made my usual quick salad to eat some with before I got cookin' the jambalaya.
Here it is half eaten. Delicious bread, perfect for soaking up dressing.

Now onward to the jambalaya! I used Jenna's recipe over at her site Eat, Live, Run. Her creation has been my go to recipe. Jambalaya is hands down one of my favorite things to cook (and eat!) along with mac and cheese of course. This time I replaced the sausage with a large carrot and one of the huge zucchini's from the farmers market. Here's the modified recipe.



Spicy Jambalaya
serves 3-4
1 tbsp canola oil
1.5 tbsp flour
2 baby onions (1 large), chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 roma tomatoes, chopped

1 large carrot, chopped

1 large zucchini, chopped
1 cup long grain brown rice
2.5 cups water
2 heaping tbsp of tomato paste
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
Heat oil in a large pot and add the flour to the oil. Make a dark roux by cooking the flour over medium high heat until golden in color, stirring continuously with a rubber spatula. Add the chopped onions, celery and jalapenos to the roux and toss well to coat. Cook for about six minutes or until the onions are soft. Add the garlic and cook for thirty seconds more.
Add the water, tomatoes, tomato paste, carrots, zucchini, rice, salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir well and bring up to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about one hour. (Adjust your rice to water measurements and cook how ever long your rice needs.)
Before serving fluff jambalaya with a fork and add more hot sauce to taste.

*Next time I'd probably throw in the zucchini when the rice is about half way done so it can retain some texture once the rice is finally soft. It was still good though.
You should definitely get some of this! 

This jambalaya is perfect for football season and your veggie loving friends. Cheers!

UPDATE! I forgot to include that I'm going to the ACL festival tomorrow for the very first time! I finally decided this year that I was willing to fork over the money to go. I'm super excited and will be returning with some pictures especially of the food ;) The headliners I'm mostly looking forward to are: Arcade Fire, Hayes Carll, Ryan Bingham (gotta love that Texas country y'all!), Fleet Foxes, and Broken Social Scene. Definitely looking forward to hearing some new music. I truly love Austin, Texas.




No comments:

Post a Comment