Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Conquering Eggless Brownies for My Sanity

All right guys. I know I said I was signing off for the night, but after I finished an online organic chemistry quiz (boo) I began thinking…about brownies. Don’t ask, it’s natural. It’s just how my brain works. Lemme give you some background info. You see, two nights ago I had a mad hankering for some chocolate. And not just the chocolate chips I keep stashed in my fridge door, I wanted a big ole brownie. I ventured to my fridge and realized I was out of eggs, of course!

“Wait! Google will have the answer,” I thought. Ah ha! A million eggless brownie recipes came up so I chose the one that looked the best and got to cookin’.  Now I understand we all have major fails in the kitchen, especially when it comes to baking. But nothing could prepare me for what was going to come out of my oven 25 minutes later.

EPIC. FAIL. Like bad. Real bad. The batter was delicious so I never saw it coming, but the brownies didn’t even rise...they actually kind of melted? I re-read the recipe over and over and I did everything right! I still have no idea what went wrong. I even took a picture; do I dare show it to y’all? I guess I should.

Here are the pathetic things sitting in my sink. Ugh.


This was my first epic fail at brownies and tonight I was determined to conquer them…vegan brownies that is. So I poured myself another big girl glass of wine and strapped on my new big girl apron and got back in the kitchen (thanks to anthropologie online sale!)

Isn't it adorable? $14.95! I can't wait to wear it in my food labs.

Riley waiting for the brownies to cool...still thinking she can eat chocolate.



The verdict? Absolutely delicious. They taste almost mouse-like. Light, super moist, but dense. I’ve finally found the perfect eggless brownie recipe. Try it!


Recipe from Crumbs and Cookies

Almost Fat-Free Fudge Brownies
slightly adapted from egglesscooking.com

3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 8 x 8 inch pan with aluminum foil. Lining the pan is a very crucial step to getting your brownies out of the pan humanely. Please don't skip this.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the first 4 ingredients.
In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips. Stir in applesauce, brown sugar and vanilla extract.
Add the dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture and mix until just combined. Add in the water until it comes together looking like a cake batter.
Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, erring on the side of underdone. Remove the pan from the oven and let the brownies cool in the pan for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove them from the pan and cool completely on a rack



No comments:

Post a Comment