Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My First Post!

Hello all!
Today started out rough with my 8am food science class. Although I enjoy it, I look around in disbelief every morning that everyone looks alert and awake. How do they do it!? I'd love to walk in happily with a coffee every morning, but who am I kidding? I barely have time for that.

Anyway, breakfast today started with a pear and my favorite Kashi bar. Both of which I grabbed running out the door. My delicious pear is not pictured because I ate it like a mad woman while I took Riley out before I left.
Speaking of Riley, say hi to the crazy pup! She thinks she can eat chocolate. Poor baby.


The rest of the day was a lot of running around trying to fit in lunch breaks between my labs and other classes. I somehow managed to make it home between them all AND get pictures. For lunch I had:
  • One medium baked yukon gold potato topped with some roasted homemade salsa
  • Huge mixed romaine salad topped with feta and light balsamic dressing
My last classes were very uneventful, we went over measuring different ingredients and defined different cooking methods. Something I do daily obviously. So we'll skip right on to what I just inhaled for dinner and I'll get back to my Chemistry homework and watching Food, Inc. for an upcoming research paper. Yay! I love that movie. And by love, I definitely don't mean what it shows about our food industry, but what it exposes about our food industry :) ignorance is not bliss after all people. Anyway, dinner looked like this:

  • Panko and parmesan crusted tilapia that I baked at 350 for about 15 minutes, then cranked up the broil to brown the parmesan
  • Leftover homemade spicy mac and cheese (delicious!)
  • A smaller version of the salad I had at lunch minus the feta
Very delicious. Especially the giant glass of wine that I'm still enjoying. Oh, and immediately after I snapped this photo, I smothered the fish in sriracha....what can I say? I LOVE the heat. And definitely not the weather. It was 105 degrees here in Texas today. Seriously!?

I'm signing off for the night folks! It's time to be a slave to the school work. Here's my go to salsa recipe. I usually always have some stocked in the fridge.

Roasted Salsa
16 roma tomatoes, halved
25-30 serranos, halved (or as much heat as you'd like, you can use jalapenos too!)
2 yellow onions, peeled and halved
1-2 red bell peppers, halved
9 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 bunches of cilantro, chopped

Cut romas, serranos, red bell peppers, and onions in half and lay on a baking sheet. Peel the garlic cloves and throw them on there too. Cover everything with a thin coat of olive oil and a little bit of salt. Roast at 350-400 for about 35-40 minutes until the tomatoes and onions are soft and everything else is sort of blackened. Just watch them after 30 minutes! Let everything cool a bit then blend it all up in two batches with the cilantro. Season with salt to taste. Make sure you taste with chips!

-Morgan

P.S. Bear with my pictures for the moment! I'm working with my iPhone before I can afford a fancy shmancy camera. You understand.



No comments:

Post a Comment